Tuesday, May 24, 2011

TyPA

Hey there!

Yesterday I brewed Pillbox's new TyPA, a beer designed for Tyler, one of our premium members!! Tyler asked for something like the 90 minute IPA by Dogfish Head brewery, so I tried my best. I tried a few new things:


1. whole leaf hops. Usually, hops come in pellet form. This time I used try whole leaf hops - pretty cool

2. 90 minute boil. Usually, I boil the wort for 60 minutes with 2-3 hop additions. In this recipe, I boiled the wort for 90 minutes with 12 hop additions! 

3. Wort chiller. This helped cool the wort quickly, which improves taste and clarity.

4. WyYeast instead of White Labs. Pretty cool yeast product. I love it!


I'm really excited about this one. I can't wait for you to try it.

There's still some Snoring Puppy if anyone wants to come over for a pint!

-Brendan

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED the TyPA. I drank a Firestone DBA earlier that day. While the DBA is similar in taste, the TyPA blew it out of the water in terms of in-your-face IPA action, as well as complexity. Brendan and I found flavors of apricot and melon. So good! Thanks, Brendan the Brewmaster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had the TyPA today and loved it! Great flavor up front that really develops and leaves a yummy finish :) NIce job and thanks Brendan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the love for the new Imperial IPA?

    The TyPA was pretty awesome too though! Love the whole hops! Makes for an awesome raw hop flavor.

    ReplyDelete